To reliably protect the residential building from moisture, thus extending its service life, it is important not only to produce a competent installation of roofing pie, but also pick up hydro and steam insulating materials correctly. The relevance of this issue is not in doubt, since any roof is adversely affected by the rain, but the most affected pitched roofs, which are used for the installation of metal, trapezoidal sheet or ondulin, do not form a continuous surface. In this connection, the question arises: "How to protect the roof surface from the damaging effects of melt and rain water, which leads to wetting insulation and condensation?" In order to prevent infiltration of rafters, battens and insulation, resulting in icing crates, mildew and damage to internal finish, you should use the membrane as well as steam and waterproofing film, performance and installation methods which will be discussed in this article.
- 1 Using a roofing film: the relevance of the question
- 2 What to consider in the process of arrangement of the waterproofing of the roof?
- 3 What is a vapor barrier film for the roof?
- 4 Varieties of hydraulic and vapor barrier roofing materials
- 5 Installation of waterproofing film: the basic rules and regulations
- 6 Installation waterproof polyethylene film: step by step guide
- 7 Installation of anti-condensate film: step by step guide
- 8 Storage and transport waterproofing material
Using a roofing film: the relevance of the question
The main function of the roof covering - protection roof from rain, even his minor mechanical damage can lead to a significant decrease in efficiency of the assembly. To avoid this, it is necessary to use a film roofing waterproofing, protecting the structure from exposure to precipitation. Besides moisture which reaches the surface of the roof outside threat to the roof and the inner cake is condensate which is formed inside. The reason for this is the temperature difference in the insulated roof space and out. Regardless of the materials used by the developer, the condensate will fall in any case, and in order to protect the roofing pie from damage, experts recommend the use of roll waterproofing for the roof, which will further protect the roof from moisture.
In addition, "dew point" may be formed inside the heat-insulating fibers on the wooden roof elements, in this connection, its design should assume the presence of a ventilation system through which steam particles will evaporate before the formation of condensation occurs. In the process arrangement of the ventilation system are also used waterproofing materials.
In other words, according to the laws of physics, a pair of warm air tend upwards and accumulate near the ceiling. Thus he seeks to move beyond the heated space and, when faced with an obstacle in the form of exposed insulation, enters into the structure of the insulation, leading to its destruction. Winter low temperatures on the outside of the roof will stop steam movement and convert it into frost and subsequently into ice crust which would cause freezing and destruction of insulation. In the spring of accumulated ice will melt and flow, resulting in a dilution of the interior trim. All this will lead into disrepair used insulation material.
What to consider in the process of arrangement of the waterproofing of the roof?
Microclimatic parameters of any room promote the formation of water vapor, in accordance with physical laws, seeking up - to cake underroof, where they penetrate into the insulation, reducing its performance. According to the SNP, to prevent wet insulation waterproofing layer equip with steam insulating. Equipping a vapor barrier, it is necessary to take into account vapor permeability of the film, which determines its density, measured in grams per square meter.
Another parameter to be taken into account in arrangement of vapor barrier - the degree of resistance to steam insulating material tearing. This is especially clearly can be seen in cases where:
Reduced elasticity insulation layer. This occurs when the weight of the truss system is transferred to the vapor barrier material which should withstand additional load;
In the case of mechanical deformation roofing cake vapor barrier film is an element responsible for the integrity of the vapor barrier.
What is a vapor barrier film for the roof?
Hydraulic and vapor barrier film for the roof, in fact, is a material similar to a plastic film which is used for the windshield and window openings cover greenhouses. Unlike conventional polymer film thickness not exceeding a few tenths of a millimeter, characterized roofing thickness of 1 to 2 mm, high mechanical strength and frost resistance, as well as resistance to ultraviolet radiation.
In view of these characteristics, roofing and hydro insulation film pictures are inherent in the construction of the multilayer roofing. In a roofing structure cake constituting the basis of the multilayer roofing, construction film accomplishes the function and vapor barrier and waterproofing without letting with warm air to the outside and a pair of inside without letting precipitation.
In modern building roofing insulation film gets a lot of opportunities to realize their direct purpose. It is used in the following areas:
In the process of the roof arrangement, where it acts as a material which protects not only the roof frame, but also heat insulating layer shown mineral wool, which are characteristic for the loss of up to 30% of the thermal inertia in case of increasing humidity even at 1%;
In the process of building foundations, where it is used for insulation of vertical and horizontal surfaces arranged both above and below the zero level;
For the installation of attic, intermediate and ground floors, where it contributes to the moisture resistance casing and the formation of internal protection in rooms with high humidity such as bathrooms, saunas, etc.
Varieties of hydraulic and vapor barrier roofing materials
At present, the regeneration of hydro-and vapor barrier roofing materials are used in three types:
- polyethylene film - universal material that can be used for a fluid, and a vapor barrier. In view of their lack of strength they are reinforced with a special cloth or wire mesh, which allows several times to increase their strength characteristics. Distinguish polyethylene films of two types: perforated and non-perforated.
Important! Perforated films are used for waterproofing, while the punch - a vapor barrier.
- In addition to traditional reinforced films of modern construction market offers plastic sheeting for roofing, one side of which is laminated with a reflective aluminum foil. This at times increases their vapor barrier properties, which determines their field of use - they are used for arranging a vapor barrier in humid and hot rooms such as saunas, swimming pools and baths;
- polypropylene film, Unlike polyethylene, characterized by a greater durability. They represent a woven material which on both sides of the laminated polypropylene. These features make the structure of polypropylene films them as durable and resistant to ultraviolet radiation. There are more advanced modification of polypropylene films, involving applying to one side of the anti-condensation layer material which is a cellulosic viscose fibers.
They operate as follows: one way or another on the film surface facing the thermal insulation material is formed moisture which is absorbed in a layer of cellulose-viscose fibers, thereby not contacting the heater. After condensation reasons will be eliminated, the moisture gradually dries due to the continuous exchange of air occurring due to presence of the ventilation gap. In this way, the system will display the resulting water vapor beyond the roof. Due to the above characteristics of anti-condensate waterproofing membrane capable of retaining moisture, which is formed on the inner side of the roofing materials such as metal, galvanized, and the shaped sheet.
Important! Experts drew attention to it and came to the conclusion that the installation of roofing and facade systems, anti-condensation film to be installed between the insulation and roofing material. A striking example of qualitative anticondensate roofing - Yutakon film which can be used not only as a waterproofing material, but also as a temporary cover for a roof, located at the construction stage.
- membrane roofing - a new material for waterproofing. Unlike conventional waterproofing films, roofing diffusion membrane is a "breathable" material which has a high vapor permeability and thus remains waterproof. Roofing membrane - covering, characterized by a complex structure which allows the material to release the moisture to the outside, but does not pass into any liquid or vapor particles. In its structure, the membrane resembles human skin, which can "breathe", stretch and covers the entire surface needs to be protected.
Important! The only drawback roofing membranes - the need for resettlement of air gap between the insulation material and the diffusion membrane. Otherwise, the clogging of the membrane pores, which will lead to a breach of its vapor permeability. In the case of compliance with all regulations and standards mounting diffusion membrane size of 100 x 100 cm will skip from 400 g to 1 liter of liquid in the form of vapor particles, which would be sufficient to effect a full natural ventilation.
- Superdifuzionnaya membrane - a more modern and sophisticated kind of roofing membranes, devoid of the above drawback, which is characteristic for conventional diffusion membranes. Superdiffuzionnye membrane can be laid directly on the heater or glued directly to the surface in need of protection - the ventilation gap in the case of using Superdiffuzionnaya membrane is not needed.
There are one- and two-sided superdiffuzionnye membrane. Laying unilateral membranes should be implemented taking into account the direction of vapor permeability - the surface of such membranes are divided into outer (facing the wall or the finishing layer) and internal (directed to a heater). Bilateral membrane can be laid without regard to the direction of water vapor permeability.
An example is the two-sided membranes Superdiffuzionnaya Yutafol film, wherein laying can produce any side. Permeability of membranes up to 1 liter liquid per 1 sq. m, whereby, on the basis of such membranes is possible to equip the system natural ventilation.
Installation of waterproofing film: the basic rules and regulations
To most effectively build roofing pie, during installation of waterproofing and vapor barrier film should be considered the norm recommended by the manufacturer of waterproofing materials.
In most cases, they are as follows:
- In the process of laying Superdiffuzionnaya film there is no need to leave an air gap - they are laid directly on the heater. Installation diffusion films provides for a ventilation gap - they are placed on kontrobreshetku, which, in turn, laid on a heater. Both one and other material to a batten attached roofing nails with a wide hat, the bales joints overlapped with an overlap of at least 10 cm;
- With regard to the polypropylene anti-condensate film, they are mounted only in dry weather, due to their high absorbency. However, their absorbing surface intended to face the insulant. As diffusion membrane, a polypropylene film is mounted on kontrobreshetku, as between insulation and a waterproofing material must remain ventilation gap. After laying the anti-condensation coating on it is mounted another kontrobreshetku, which subsequently laid roofing material. To fix the anti-condensate film required galvanized nails;
- During installation isolating film it is placed under the heater, and then secured by tape or a special adhesive. If you prefer an adhesive tape, it can help to be protected and ventilation openings and the surface adjacent to the window openings and other "trouble spots" in need of protection. When this material must overlap the joints overlap up to 10 cm.
Installation waterproof polyethylene film: step by step guide
- During installation of the first row of the waterproofing material, the film is spread along the roof eaves, wherein providing the film sagging between the rafters of 1-2 cm. Remember that the pitch between the rafters must not be more than 1.2 m. Between the film and the insulating material should be maintained air-gap 40 mm;
- The film was placed horizontally in a direction from the eaves to the ridge, providing an overlap between the film webs to 10-15 cm. With this film sag between the rafters must be at least 20 mm. To ensure proper sealing joints waterproofing layer material is glued with adhesive tape;
- To secure waterproof films are used mechanical stapler or galvanized nails with a wide hat;
- Subsequent rows of waterproofing material is placed with an overlap of 10-20 cm, and the overlap quantity determined by the angle of the roof slope (see. Table).
- Above the fixed film nailed kontrobreshetki bars, whose cross section should be at least 40 x 25 mm. Step bars should be between 10-15 cm;
- After that mounts the crate;
- At the level of the ridge between its axis and the waterproof film must leave a gap called ridge air holes, the size of which shall be 50 mm. Ridge produhi is a kind of film rupture under the ridge of the roof, necessary to allow for ventilation of roof space;
- In those places where the roof is necessary to mount the antenna, tubes or other structural elements necessary to cut the film and stick it to the edge situated closest batten bars with adhesive tape or double-sided adhesive tape. In the presence of skylights, in the process of waterproofing film devices follow recommendations of the manufacturer of windows;
Important! To ensure the free passage of air through the ridge vent is necessary to leave a gap of 40-50 mm.
Important! Laying apertured film should be such that the perforation was oriented outwardly. Otherwise the film is exactly the opposite effect of what was intended originally - the film will allow moisture inside the roof and not to release steam from within. Roof starts to flow and rot.
Installation of anti-condensate film: step by step guide
- Stacking of polypropylene film may be carried out only in dry weather after installation is complete rafter insulation system and stowed;
- The distance between the rafters, as in the previous case, must be less than 1.2 m;
- Laying polypropylene film is carried out so that its absorbent surface faces down, toward the heater. In this case, its lower surface should not come into contact with him;
- Anti-condensation film and secured with a mechanical stapler or galvanized nails with a wide hat;
- Installation of anti-condensate film made from the eaves to the ridge. When this film is laid overlapping horizontal stripes. Material stacked vertically overlapping is 15 cm, vertical - at least 20 cm;
- Joints film should be at a level trusses and stapled by means of adhesive tape;
- During the installation of the waterproofing layer is important to ensure that the film was stretched smoothly, that there are no folds Zamin. In the central part mezhstropilnogo space must remain slack of 1-2 cm, which is necessary in order to withdraw moisture from wooden structural members;
- In the process of laying the film between it and the insulation is necessary to leave a gap of at least 40-60 mm;
- The lower edge of the film, ideally should provide removal draining moisture which enters the drain gutter;
- Once you have finished setting the film coating, secure with the strips measuring 3 x 5 cm, which is necessary to nail the top along trusses galvanized nails. Over the rails mounted crate, which is selected taking into account the specific features of roofing system.
What to consider in the process of mounting anti-condensate film?
- During installation of waterproofing film is important to exclude the possibility of moisture dripping from the upper surface of the insulation film;
- Try to carefully isolate film intersection with penetrating structure elements, such as ventilation ducts, pillars antennas furnaces and chimney pipes, etc. In places where the film overlap with the elements in the film make an incision in the shape of a trapezoid. The upper and lower valves is removed and secured on the near horizontal furring member or penetrating part using a sealing tape. Side flaps similarly secured to penetrating member.
Storage and transport waterproofing material
- In response to the question: "How do I store a roofing waterproofing film", it should be noted that it is carried out at a temperature of from -40 to +80, in other words for the range of comfortable temperatures high enough material;
- Laying and waterproofing compound film by waterproofing tape should be carried out at temperatures above +5 degrees;
- The storage room where the stored material must be protected from ultraviolet rays;
- In the process of loading and unloading of the material is important to ensure that there was no damage to the packaging, since the risk of rupture of the film itself is increased in this case.